PIC – Personalised Integrated Continuing
Our personalised, integrated and continuing service is based on our research which has found that:
- Engagement, activity, independence and dignity are social determinants of health
- As isolated older people are less able to get out and about, computers and the Internet can facilitate engagement, activity, independence and dignity
- There is no reason that an older motivated person cannot learn to use suitable IT
- Developing sufficient digital capability is not just a matter of giving someone an ipad and a couple of lessons
- It is essential to (a) use appropriate technology for what a person wants to do and (b) provide ongoing support
- Recognising the diverse needs and situations of each client is also essential
- Meeting individual needs requires personalised, patient and thoughtful guidance
- It is important that older users learn on their own device
- Easy, reliable and affordable Internet access is critical
- Ongoing support must be friendly and non-threatening
- Having fun is critical for success.
- Social connections via the Internet should not be at the expense of face-to-face interactions, indeed the two modes of interaction can support each other.